I was filled with mixed feelings when our presentation came to an end. On one hand, I was very relieved. “It’s over!”. Late night or early morning discussions will now be things of the past (at the very least, until a new semester starts). Finally, I will have more time to myself to relax, study, and catch up with materials I have missed. However, on the other hand, I felt a sense of loss. The past few weeks have truly been enjoyable and enriching for me. My group mates, Elin and Brooks, have taught me valuable lessons and helped me to improve myself. Without them, our proposal and presentation would not have been possible. They have tolerated the times when I was too persistent and demanding, as well as times when I was too lazy to squeeze out any drop of juice from my brain. In this whole process, I have grown closer to them and the prospect of not seeing them anymore on an almost weekly basis saddens me. I truly hope that the friendship we have forged will last and that we will keep in touch via facebook or email (since Elin is graduating and Brooks is going back to China! I’m the only one left in NUS! ). Thank you, Elin and Brooks. You guys are great!
As for the actual oral presentation, I do think that I was not fluent and engaging enough. I have tried to think of jokes and pictures to spice things up, but I couldn’t seem to find appropriate ones. There were also instances when I stammered. In addition, I was paranoid that the computer and pointer was not responsive (how could that even be? I must be over-paranoid) and thus, I kept stealing glances at the slides when I actually placed two pieces which detailed sequence of slides on the table. All in all, I do not think I was convincing either. Perhaps I should have provided clearer links between the points.
These are all, but my own opinion. What do my dear classmates think? Feel free to let me know! Any feedback will be highly appreciated. Thanks! =)
Hi Sheila!
ReplyDeleteHere are some of the points that I've noted down:
- Clear articulation
- Good hand gestures
- Change of tone increases the level of interest among listeners
- Good analysis of survey results (but I think you need to drive home the point, i.e. link back to the problem statement or something)
Thanks for the wonderful presentation! Congratulations! :)
Hello Shelia!
ReplyDeleteYour positives:
1) Good hand gestures
2) Fluent in speech
3) Good interaction with audiences by using questions
4) Good emphasis of certain points by using different tone and pitch.
Your negatives:
1) Tend to look downwards when recalling information. Eye contact is lost when that happens.
Overall the presentation is good. We all learnt together =D
Thanks Yong Feng and Edmund for the feedbacks!! =)
ReplyDeleteHello Shella!
ReplyDeleteIt was a successful presentation! Here are some of your strengths I noticed in your presentation,
- use of dialogue
- good hand gestures
- good voice projection
- facial expression with emotion.
However, you should avoid looking down though you showed some eye contact with the audience.
yup! thanks a lot, Hau! =)
ReplyDeleteHi Sheila,
ReplyDeleteYou spoke fluently during the presentation and you had good hand gestures as well. As you mentioned in your post, you did try to tell jokes and I did get your jokes!
However, I think you looked a bit nervous during the presentation and sometimes you looked at the ceiling. I think maybe it was becasue of the slow response of the computer.:)
Anyway, thanks for your good efforts!
Thanks Cosine, for your valuable feedback! =)
ReplyDeleteHaha, we have exactly the same start and ending for our blog posts! Truly twins:)
ReplyDeleteI think you are a talented "stage person"! You are good in acting, playing drum and other instruments as well as giving presentation, you did all very naturally. Thank God for such a gifted sister...
Hehe. thanks for the compliment, you are making me shy....but since we are twins, all the compliments apply to you too. hahahaha....
ReplyDeleteand yes, thanks be to God that i find a sister like you! so patient and kind. hehehe.....
Hey Sheila!
ReplyDeleteI can't watch the videos. I don't know why...
Nevermind. From what I remember of your presentation, you actually did a good job!
Though you stammered at a few instances(I think), overall you were fluent. The pace was really good. I could understand and follow what you were saying very well. Good stance too!
However, you could have been louder. Also, as some of the others have mentioned, you tend to lose eye contact when trying to recall content.
I think we all have to learn to present without memorising a script, and I'm sure we will pretty soon!
<3 Pavi
Wow! You've received so much useful feedback from this clear, concise reflection, Sheila! All of this should be useful for you as you do future presentations!
ReplyDeleteThank you!
Hi Pavi!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your feedback. And yah, i have to admit i forget what i want to say at times. Due to lack of practice! hahaha...actually, i dont have any script because i'm never good in memorising. (to tell the truth, i cant even remember what i did last week, thankfully, engineering modules allow open book exams! haha.)
so yes, thanks for your feedback! =)
And Brad, yes, i'm very thankful for all the feedbacks! They are definitely useful all my future presentations. Thanks again. =)